What would happen if there were no lions?
Without lions, expect increased poverty, poor health, poaching, desperation, and greater pressure on Western countries to support Africa via aid programs. So saving these animals should be a global mandate.
Why is it important to save lions?
Lions play an important role in the food chain, helping to regulate numbers of the more dominant herbivore species, such as zebra and buffalo. Without lions to control them, these species can out-compete other animals, causing their extinction and reducing biodiversity.
What is special about a lion?
Lions are special and protected from hunters because they’re very rare in the wild. Male lions LOOK special because they’re the only cat with a large mane. Lions ACT special because they’re the only cat that lives socially. No other wild cat lives in a group with a hierarchy.
What are 5 interesting facts about lions?
Fun facts about lions
- Lions are the only cats that live in groups.
- A group, or pride, can be up to 30 lions, depending on how much food and water is available.
- Female lions are the main hunters.
- A lion’s roar can be heard up to eight kilometres away.
- Lions scent mark their territory, using their wee, to create a border.