Here are six animals that, like Cecil, poaching might rob us of forever.
- ELEPHANTS. Poachers are the single biggest threat to elephants’ survival.
- RHINOS. Rhinoceroses, like elephants, suffer the misfortune of having an external protrusion that humans arbitrarily place a high value upon.
- SEA TURTLES.
What animal is most poached?
Why do people poach animals?
Usually, bushmeat is considered a subset of poaching due to the hunting of animals regardless of the laws that conserve certain species of animals. Another major cause of poaching is due to the cultural high demand of wildlife products, such as ivory, that are seen as symbols of status and wealth in China.
What are the top 3 most poached animals in Africa?
Top 3 at-risk animal species in Africa
- Rhino. – The price per pound for rhino horn is valued at $29 500 + (worth more than gold or cocaine).
- Elephant. – $8-10 billion annual generation of illegal horn and ivory trade worldwide.
- Lion. – Lion bones are a substitute for scarce tiger bones used in traditional Chinese medicine.
How many animals get poached?
This results in the poisoning deaths of approximately 20 million animals. More than 126,000 hunting trophies are imported into the United States each year. There are more than 1,000 captive animal hunting operations in the United States. Thousands of individuals are arrested for poaching in the United States each year.