Why is it illegal to own a ferret in California?
It’s about protecting native species. The concern is that if ferrets were legal people would breed and sell them in California, some might get loose, and they might compete with native species resulting in extinction of native species. Ferrets are illegal to own as pets in both California and Hawaii.
Can you get a permit to own a ferret in California?
You can get a special permit to legally own a ferret in California through the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife. California Bans pet stores from selling dogs and cats unless they come from shelters or rescues. The consequence is people are now purchasing pets that may turn out to be ill from un-vetted websites.
What exotic pets are legal in California?
10 Exotic Pets That Are Legal to Own in California
- Hybrid Cats. These exotic pets which are actually technically domesticated—perhaps more so than a common non-pedigree cat—are legal in most states depending on their percentage of so-called wild genetics.
- Monitor Lizards.
- American Bison.
- Second Generation ‘Wolfdogs’
- Large Constrictor Snakes.
What happens if you have a ferret in California?
From www.dfg.ca.gov/wildlife/species/nuis_exo/ferret/: “In California, domestic ferrets are legal to import, transport, or possess only by permit. Permits are issued for specific purposes, such as for medical research or for transportation of confiscated ferrets or rescued stray ones out of state.
What pets are illegal in California?
5 Popular Animals that are Illegal as Pets in California
- Ferrets. Ferrets are Mustelids, the biological family that also includes otters, mink, weasels, and polecats.
- Hedgehogs. It is illegal to keep a hedgehog as a pet in California.
Can a cat kill a ferret?
A cat *can* injure a ferret but usually can’t kill one in one bite. Even injured, the ferret will fight back like a wolverine. A dog, however, is perfectly capable of killing a ferret in one bite. Cats realize ferrets are not prey animals because they don’t run and will stare down the cat.